2009年5月25日星期一

Right, I'll just spill it out : I suck in socializing.


I've got a very successful routine in approaching a stranger and get to know him. Basically it's a 3-step exercise.
Step 1: Go forward, smile, and Hi.
Step 2: Chat (given that i share with this person at least one common interest, if not then some hollow conversational vacuum will probably sets in and spare me the last step).
Step 3: Give my email (or moblie no.), get his.

Mission accomplished.

It's quick, effective and sharp. No blur, no hesitation, no shyness whatsoever. I feel like a king everytime I record new encounters on my phonebook.

Well, so far so good.
But the thing is, then what?

I mean, I have no problem acting extrovert and friendly and any other positive value you can think of that assists human network building during the first encounter. But then as you may know (well surely I'm the one that knows the best), after getting a string of email, I come pretty much to the end of the story. No follow-up whatsoever. I don't know if it's just me or if it's something common to any typical 19-year-old geek, like the one typing his heavy emotion out loud here. Every time, I mean, EVERY SINGLE TIME, I get lost in the attempt to keep connected with someone new to me. How should I even get started?!!? Just to give you some background information, I reckon any form of one-on-one hangout, be it a movie meeting, a cafe meeting or anything, something strange to do with someone I newly know. Well it's even stranger if it's a lady because it seems like something out of the scope of friendship, and I might not even qualify as a friend at all since I might have only met that person once. Yet besides these pastimes, I'm not really creative enough to come up with any other alternative. And the only hideout for me in this kind of circumstance is regrettably, indirect conversation. Yup, that's why you see me a lot on MSN and on FACEBOOK, because I'm that a little coward trying to live in his fantasy that words alone can get somebody permanently and adequately connected with another person. Not until recently that I discovered this practice is much worse than what I've expected before. Sorry to be innocent but I did think that internet is such a gift that can channel my words and feelings over to another someone with high convenience. But I don't do anymore. Right let's face the inconvienent truth : internet sucks. It sucks in a way that it makes you feel good, but at the same time eating away your passion in directly confronting someone in a more sincere manner : to do it face to face. Well, you might argue that it's almost impossible to kick "internet network building" out of our lists, but hey, it's an outgoing person's priviledge, if you don't even know how to socialize with others in the real world, in a more humane way, don't ever dream that you can get things done on the net. But that's why I'm a loser as I really don't have any solid idea as to how to keep myself involved in a friendship, or to initiate one, let alone all that fancy hangout stuff that makes a friendship fun. Well, sorry to tell, I'm still lacking the solution to that. For those who I know and believe in their capabilities in socializing, please drop me a few tips. And for those who I know and think in the following way, "hey I don't know you much Jason, why on earth would i be interested in helping you huh ?", I am sorry, it's not that i didnt care before, I just didnt know how. I REGRETTED SO MUCH on not pushing myself to take that little extra step 4, and I still do, and I would only wish to know how to say "I won't anymore".

25-5-2009 00:10pm
John Wagon HK
Let's add value to bluffing

沒有留言: